The Most Useful Tips about Taxis in Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki taxis are undoubtedly the most convenient way to get to your destination. However, when visiting a city for the first time, it’s very easy to get scammed or overcharged. So, as comfortable as Thessaloniki taxis are, there are some tips to help you travel safely and affordably.
- Have your exact destination written down on a paper to avoid any communication problems with your local driver.
- Get informed about the approximate prices for every destination and let the driver know that you are aware of the common fares.
- Use your mobile to look up for the best routes and check if your driver is following them or is just circling around the city.
- Unless you are being offered a fixed fare, always check that the taximeter is reset and set on when entering the cab and ask for a receipt at the end of your ride.
- Look for the official license number which must be clearly displayed inside the taxi vehicle.
- Never hire an individual taxi driver, who might not even be licensed, but always pick up your taxi from the official taxi ranks.
- Seek info about the taxi tipping customs of the country you are visiting.
- Carry small change in local currency with you in case credit/debit cards aren’t accepted.
- You can book your Athens taxi ride online. In that way, you will have a record of your reservation and you will be certain that your taxi is official and licensed.
How do you hail a taxi in Thessaloniki?
You can easily catch a taxi in the street, simply by raising your hand. However, you should take your cab from the official taxi ranks or book it online to be sure that it is licensed and avoid getting scammed.
Are taxis in Thessaloniki safe?
Thessaloniki taxis are considered a rather safe option for your transfer throughout the city. In any case, the cabs queuing up at the official taxi stands are undoubtedly licensed and legal. Hence, you should always catch your cab from the taxi ranks. Another safe alternative is to book your taxi ride online.